Saturday, July 14, 2012

Thoughts on Hunting


Question:
A gradual thing might work, yeah. What's your opinion on hunting for food (not trophy hunting)? Where the animal is free during its life time and killed as quickly as possible? Sorry for all the questions, haha. I don't think I would want to give up meat, but I HAVE pondered sticking to animal products from smaller, more local suppliers as opposed to large factory farms. I would hunt if I knew how to fire a gun properly.
Answer:
I actually don’t mind hunting for food that much. The animal lived freely, enjoyed life, had time to reproduce naturally (granted they’re hunting adults). The hunter made a connection with what nourishes them. It’s not an after-thought. They realized the thing that sustains them had a soul. 
Before turning vegan. I ate McDonalds and never stopped to think “Some of the stuff in here (lol - some) lived a life of suffering then died”. It was just like eating a potato chip. There was no connection, thought, or compassion. Through rescuing, it dawned on me. “Why eat one and not the other?”.
I don’t think I could hunt and eat something, because it makes ME sad, but I wouldn’t hold it against someone who could. I know they respected the animal and they’re going about it naturally, just as another mammal would. 
If you read the the pdf of USDA guidelines from 2010, or see myplate.gov, protien is less than half the plate, and they encourage variety of protien, not just meat-based protien. So you going for lesser quantity of meat, that’s a positive impact to show you’re compassionate.
It’s not easy, but once you invest time in it, it gets to be easy. 
Change is never easy. 
I actually have a sweet recurve bow, I’d use that to hunt if I wanted to, but I’d make sure I could 99% make the target for a quick death. IF. 
Buying local also helps your local economy, reduces trucks on the road transporting stuff, less crap in the atmosphere. =) 
Speaking of which, less cow farts (methane) in the atmosphere results when you consume less moo-cow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment