Monday, June 18, 2012

In Memory of Louie


Louie came from a chronic bird trader.

She would get a bird, get sick of it, and give it to anyone that would take it with the intent to trade it for another.
In one instance that I was involved in, she gave an amazon to a bird broker in California in trade for money to get an Eclectus, which later was put on craigslist. This was over a course of about 2 weeks.

I first met her at a bird fair. She was trying to pawn off a cockatoo that I loved to death. I bonded with him while at the fair. She was looking to trade him because “Her husband was allergic” which is bullshit because she had another cockatoo posted on craigslist a little while ago.

I told her give me a week and I can find a home for him, or at least a foster.

She didn’t wait. She traded him to a bird broker which gave her that amazon she sent to California.

She invited me over to meet her birds and Casper (the too’s real name - longer story to that, anyway…) came with me in the car from the bird show to her place.

That’s when I met Louie. He had masses of eye gooky, and just looked miserable. I ended up begging her to let me give him medical attention. Eventually she said ok.

I sat in the shower with him with my clothes on for him to latch onto as I was trying to get moister on his eyes to get some of the gross off. =/ Then off to the vet.

Dr. Grant pulled big nasties out of his nose (I have pics somewhere), had to get him 2 eye-drops and oral meds. He eventually started to feel better. Never 100%, but he was a happy boy.

I told Linda (the trader) that I can get reimbursed for the money if she surrendered him for adoption and how he needed continued treatment. She eventually said ok. He was my first rescue, and my first adoption… I never was reimbursed for the money, he was my boy.

Because of Casper No Paw Left Behind’s boss said, it’s time to make “No Feather Left Behind”…

He was a quiet amazon because of his age, but he was a sweety. I would call out to him and he would bob his head back and go “Chooky chooky” Later he would go on his perch and flap his wings like crazy and I would shout “Goooo Louie! Stretch those wings! You’re so glorious.”

He would put his beak next to my nose, and I would scritch his head.

I loved that sweet old man.

Well, his eye problem started carrying over to his other eye + glaucoma added to the cataracts, he was loosing weight, and even the medication didn’t seem to be working…

I went to see Dr. Grant to see what the next step was.

In the back of my mind, I knew it was time for him to go see Clifford and Georgie, but I didn’t think it was going to be reality.

We came to the crossroad. He wasn’t his happy ol’ Louie self. He’s been slowing, not as many “Chooky chooky”s… The eyes looked painful and surgery would probably lead him to passing… I didn’t want to come home to see him suffering on the bottom of the cage because I know it was getting close.

So we cuddle on him for an hour or so, cried on him, and said it was time to go.

I miss him so much and I’m crying again.

I know when I get the special guys, they might not last that long. Cliffy taught me that. I prepare myself, but it still hurts. It’s still worth it.

Pako is clinging more to Hubby because Pako actually took a shine to Louie. He hated all other birds, but had birdy-respect for the Old Man.
I’d find him sitting next to him after Mikey assisted in his sneaking in there. (Mikey would open the food door, and Pako would crawl in). Louie was his companion, now Hubby has to be. 

I went to feed the crew this morning and I had the impulse to say “Hi Louie, whatcha doing chooky-chooky?” and he wasn’t there…

We buried him in the Birdy cemetry at my parents’ house yesterday. They took a shine to him too. Who wouldn’t? He was the sweetest buddy.

I don’t think I got poison ivy this time (like when I had to bury Mr. Georgie).

I think I’ll go to Lowe’s and snazzify the Birdy Cemetary…

No comments:

Post a Comment